Monday, December 29, 2014

A Christmas Treat: Salzburg, Austria

On Christmas day, we were back on the road. When we take these road trips, we typically drive between 2-2 1/2 hours and stop. To drive from Innsbruck, Austria to Bled, Slovenia is a little over 4 hours. On our route, we had to pass Salzburg, which is a major historical city in Austria. After doing a little research, I discovered that Salzburg has an Advent Christmas Market from Nov. 20-Dec. 26. I can never get enough of Christmas markets.

Advent Christmas Market in Salzburg


Christmas carolers  @ Salzburg Christmas Market


Advent Market in Salzburg


I'm sorry to admit this, but I have never seen the movie Sound of Music in its entirety. I had no idea until my brother told me literally the other day that movie was even filmed in Salzburg. However, of the few parts of the movie that I did see, I only seem to remember children running and singing through green pastures. But much to our surprise, Salzburg had a lot more to offer than just green pastures.

As we drove into Salzburg's Old Town, we saw this amazing castle on the hill, the Hohensalzburg Castle, which is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe.  


Hohensalzburg Castle
Closer view of Hohensalzburg Castle

There was just so much to see Salzburg and we could not see everything in a few hours. So, sorry for the short blog, but there will be a longer one in a couple of days. We have decided that we are going back after we leave Bled. Stay tuned....next stop Bled, Slovenia!



Back on the road

2 comments: